We’re often asked, “How do I get from the Seattle Airport to downtown, or to 9 Cranes Inn?” It’s a two-step process that includes light rail and city bus, which delivers you two blocks from 9 Cranes Inn. The whole trip takes about 1.5 hours, door-to-door.
How would you like some step-by-step instructions? Here they are in two forms: first, a list of steps written down for you. Below that, you’ll find a photo tour from the airport to our Seattle B&B. (Don’t let the long list scare you; we’ve simply tried to detail each step so that you have no doubts about how to do this.)
- From baggage claim, go up one escalator (not two). If you’ve just got carry-on bags, go down one level.
- Cross the enclosed sky bridge (the one in front of you is fine, shouldn’t matter which number it is).
- At the end of the sky bridge, turn left and look for a sign pointing to “Link Light Rail.” You’ll be skirting the edge of the parking garage.
- Pass all elevators, continuing to follow signs for “Link Light Rail.”
- You’ll come to another sky bridge straight ahead. Note that it is covered but not totally enclosed. Keep going straight across it.
- After walking three or four minutes from baggage claim, you will arrive at the light rail station. Enter the station and approach a ticket machine on the wall facing the entrance.
- Follow the instructions on the ticket machine to purchase a ticket. The cost to reach Westlake Center is $3.00.
- Ascend the escalator and board a train (you’re at the end of the line, so either side will do, as long as the train is lit up and doors are open).
- Westlake Center stop is about 35 minutes from the airport. Disembark and ascend the escalator.
- Turn left at the top of the center escalator (you’ll see Nordstrom ahead to the right) and follow signs toward 3rd & Pine and/or Macy’s. If you happen to ascend a different escalator, look for signs to 3rd & Pine.
- One more escalator up will deliver you to the sidewalk outside. Take an immediate right and you’ll be at 3rd Avenue.
- Turn right on 3rd and immediately arrive at bus stop – look for the #5 route on the sign. Macy’s is the building on that block.
- Catch the #5 bus to Shoreline (it comes every 10-30 minutes, depending on day and time of day). Fare will be either $2.50 or $2.75, depending on time of day. You will need exact change.
- After 20 minutes or so, you will be traveling Phinney Avenue North toward the Woodland Park Zoo. Your stop is one stop after the zoo, at N. 58th Street and Phinney Avenue North.
- Disembark at 58th and use crosswalk just ahead of bus to cross the street.
- Continue walking downhill two blocks to Palatine Avenue North.
- Cross Palatine and turn left.
- 9 Cranes Inn is the second house on the right at 5717 Palatine.
- Ring the doorbell and start your visit to Seattle!
Below is a step-by-step photo guide to getting here: